Saturday, April 18, 2009

Bonnie Raitt, NRBQ, John Prine, and the Talking Heads


Raitt, Bonnie. Bonnie Raitt. [Burbank, Calif.]: Warner Bros. Records, 1971.

Bonnie Raitt is one of my very favorite recording artists. She puts on a great live show, too. One thing I love about her is that she is extremely gracious and always remembers to give credit to the original creators of the songs she plays.


Here are just a few of my favorite songs that she covers:


Angel from Montgomery by John Prine:


Me and the Boys by NRBQ
Song about the Midway by Joni Mitchell
Love Me Like a Man by Chris Smither (I used to sing this one when I was in a band.)
Burning Down the House by the Talking Heads
Runaway by Max Crook and Del Shannon
:


For a full list of her recordings, visit bonnieraitt.com. The discography is very detailed--in addition to listing the songwriters in large print, she thanks everyone who makes the music happen:
I know how lucky I am to have had such validation and opportunity and I'd like to give credit and thanks to the many people who helped bring these albums to life:

First, to the amazing songwriters, musicians, singers, co-producers, engineers, art directors, photographers, publishing and production assistants who had everything to do with making these records special . . .
ps. Unfortunately, there are a handful of musicians who are not so appreciative. Take Rickie Lee Jones, for example. I was a huge fan until I went to a concert and she cursed her drummer and left the stage in a huff without thanking the audience or her other band members. I would forgive her, but I hear that she does this pretty often. Who does Rickie Lee Jones think she is . . . Johnny Rotten? If I want to listen to rude people complain loudly, I'll save my money and go to an HOA meeting!