Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Reporting from my iPhone

Today is our 5th day in the hospital. Russell had a ruptured, gangrenous appendix. He wouldn't go to the doctor, so I referred to the U.S. National Library of Medicine website, checked his symptoms, and called 911 against his will. He's healing well, but he's really tired and uncomfortable. I have been camping out on the recliner by his bedside. We are hoping to be sent home tomorrow.

Ps. I can't figure out how to do hyperlinks on the iPhone. The URL for the U.S. National Library of Medicine website is
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

It can't replace a visit to the doctor, of course, but it might prompt you to schedule a visit. I used it to diagnose Russell's shingles last month, and made him go to the doctor.

Men can be so stubborn. He thought his shingles were just bug bites that could be cured with calamine lotion, and in the case of the appendicitis, he thought his stomach would feel better if he just ate a little jell-o.