Friday, June 29, 2012

Back from ALA

I just got back from the annual American Library Association conference. It was in Anaheim, California which is the perfect locale for a summertime convention--no humidity and lots of hotels close to the arena.

Here are a few highlights from the convention. (I'll write about the meetings and programs later.)

*I was very honored to make the American Libraries Magazine list of top conference tweets.

*Had a lovely chat with the charming author/publisher Arthur Levine. (At first I didn't realize that he was the Arthur Levine!) He signed my copy of the new book, The Letter Q.


Moon, Sarah, and James Lecesne. The Letter Q: Queer Writers' Notes to Their Younger Selves. New York: Arthur A. Levine Books, 2012. Print.

*I also met co-contributors Brian Selznick who is most famous for his Caldecott winning book The Invention of Hugo Cabret, and David Levithan who is most famous for Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist.



*I got to see a couple of my Crumb friends! (I'm not the only librarian/library supporter who is a Cracker/Camper Van Beethoven/Chris LeRoy fan.)


*Our hotel was across the street from The Cheesecake Factory. I was a bad influence and talked Jamie and Judy into joining me for carrot cake 3 out of 4 nights. No wonder I gained 4 pounds! Who knew that carrot cake is the most fattening item on the menu? 1,500 calories per serving!

*It was great sharing a room with my colleagues Nora and Jamie. They are both fascinating conversationalists, and since they are both sound sleepers, I wasn't worried about my snoring.

*More conference news later!