Friday, March 18, 2011

Three great books about courageous girls

Fitzhugh, Louise. Harriet, the Spy. New York: Harper & Row, 1964.

Kathleen T. Hornig wrote a fascinating (and brave!) essay about the impact Louise Fitzhugh's classic novel had on her life, On Spies and Purple Socks. Kathleen also wrote From Cover to Cover which is the definitive book on reviewing children's literature. I follow her excellent guidelines when I write reviews for School Library Journal, but I'm a bit lazy in my blog entries.


Blume, Judy. Are You There God?: It's Me, Margaret. New York: Dell, 1970.
Growing up isn't easy, but then neither is being a grown-up. (It's an endless battle of the hormones. Once the cramps go away, in march the hot flashes. I don't even want to know what's going to happen a decade from now.) If you want a laugh, read Chelsea Handler's memoir Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea.

Dahl, Roald, and Quentin Blake. Matilda. New York, N.Y: Viking Kestrel, 1988.
The movie is pretty good, but the book is AWESOME! (See what I mean about being lazy?)