Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Howard Johnson's got his mojo workin' - NRBQ

I haven't really been in a writing mood lately, so here's a rerun:

Monday, October 20, 2008

Magical Thinking




Back in college, I worked as a waitress at Howard Johnson's. I was a really lousy waitress--I'd get so sidetracked talking to people, that I'd forget to feed them.



One beautiful day, I was lazing by the pool with my friends, dreading the late afternoon shift. I kept whining, "I don't want to go to work! I don't want to go to work! It's too nice outside!"
I whined, and I whined, and I whined.

Eventually, I gave in. I went back to my dorm, changed into my orange polyester dress, and dragged myself down the street to HoJo's. And when I arrived . . .

The entire building was boarded up!

The restaurant had gone out of business, and it took months before they mailed me my final paycheck.

And speaking of Howard Johnson's . . .

One of my favorite NRBQ tunes is Howard Johnson's Got His Ho-Jo Workin.