Thursday, October 8, 2009

Lenny Bruce on Judaism

Bruce, Lenny. How to Talk Dirty and Influence People: An Autobiography. Chicago: Playboy Press, 1965.

" . . . if you live in New York or any other big city, you are Jewish. It doesn't matter even if you're Catholic; if you live in New York you are Jewish . . . Italians are all Jews."
--Lenny Bruce

Since I live in Boca Raton, and Boca Raton is known as The Sixth Borough, I guess you could say I'm Jewish. I'm also Italian-American and Catholic.

One time when I was waiting in line at Walgreens, I overheard the person behind me griping about how "the damn, cheap-ass Jews take over Boca every winter." I turned around and asked loudly, "What did you say?????" The person in front of me said, "Are you Jewish?" I boldly answered, "Yes." Someone else in line said, "Do you know where I can buy a yahrzeit candle around here?" I answered "Publix, aisle three near the gefilte fish."

And we all lived happily ever after.