Sunday, November 23, 2008

Visiting Queens


Seidler, Tor, and Brock Cole. Gully's Travels. [New York]: Michael Di Capua Books/Scholastic, 2008.


Fitzhugh, Louise. Harriet, the Spy. New York: Harper & Row, 1964.


I am reading a wonderful children's novel, Gully's Travels by Tor Seidler with illustrations by Brock Cole. It's the story of a snooty Lhasa apso from Manhattan who suddenly finds himself stranded in Astoria, Queens. The story reminds me a bit of the scene in Harriet the Spy where the governess, Ole Golly, takes Harriet along on a day trip to Far Rockaway, Queens.

And speaking of Queens . . .

Although I was terribly homesick at the time, looking back, I realize that two of the most exciting chapters of my life took place in Queens.

When I worked for Pan Am, I shared a two bedroom apartment in Kew Gardens with four other flight attendants and a pilot. We had so much fun going into the City (AKA Manhattan) and using our Pan Am i.d. cards to get into clubs for free. (Yes, we were bridge & tunnel girls.)

My very first full-time job after grad school was at the Queens Library. I worked at a branch in Bayside, but I lived in Astoria with two wonderful roommates. I felt like a real city girl taking the subway to work each day.

Torres, L. (1993). Subway sparrow. New York: Farrar, Straus, Giroux.