Saturday, May 9, 2009

The Bangles, Matthew Sweet, Cracker, and Marian Anderson

The Bangles in the 1980's:

The Bangles in 2009:


The Bangles are one of my favorite bands from the 80's. I included Hero Takes a Fall in all of my aerobics class tapes and I was blown away by their 1986 show at the historic DAR Constitution Hall.

Like The Beach Boys, The Bangles' vocal harmonies are just as tight live as they are in studio
. Plus, the band members play instruments, sing, and look great all at the same time.



As you can see, I used to try to imitate Susanna Hoffs's hairstyle:



I also used to try to do that looking off to the side thing that Susanna Hoffs does.


I used to wear lots of bangles, too!


ANYWAY . . .

The reason I'm thinking about The Bangles so much is that I was pleasantly surprised to see Susanna Hoffs's name printed in the liner notes of the new Cracker album, Sunrise in the Land of Milk and Honey. She co-wrote the beautiful love song, Darling One.

ps. The Bangles are back on tour with new music! For concert information, visit thebangles.com.

pps. A couple of years ago, Susanna Hoffs paired up with the wonderful Mr. Matthew Sweet for an album of duets. Check it out here.




ppps. Matthew Sweet's Girlfriend is one of my all-time favorite albums.

Sweet, Matthew. Girlfriend [Sound Recording] / Matthew Sweet. NY: Volcano, 1991.

pppps. A little bit about the DAR Constitution Hall . . .

When the DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution) refused to allow Marian Anderson to sing at their venue, First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt resigned from the prestigious organization and invited Anderson to sing before 59,000 people at the Lincoln Memorial on Easter Sunday, 1939. The DAR begged Anderson to perform for them a few years later, and she graciously accepted the apology and sang to a full house in 1942.