Friday, April 25, 2008

GIRLS! GIRLS! GIRLS!

This week's books all have the word "girls" in the title.




The Big Girls is a psychological novel about life in a women's prison. The story is told by four different narrators: a prisoner, a staff psychiatrist, a prison guard, and a movie starlet. This creepy page-turner will appeal to those of us who like grisly crime stories.





Girls in Trucks is a coming-of-age story about a rebellious southern debutante who moves up north. I picked up the book because the dress on the cover caught my eye--I love the fitted bodice and full, swingy skirt.

Although the book is beautifully written and it received rave reviews, I didn't really enjoy reading it. The protagonist makes too many bad decisions. I kept wanting to butt in and talk some sense into her. Guess I'm getting old.



Certain Girls by Jennifer Weiner



Certain Girls is the sequel to Jennifer Weiner's wildly popular bestseller, Good in Bed. For the story to make sense, you really have to read Good in Bed first. If you like smart chick lit, you will like Jennifer Weiner's books.