Monday, February 16, 2015

And Your Cat Can Sing: Ground Control to Major Tom Cat


Here are a few picture books for people who like singing cats:

 Barrett, Ron. Cats Got Talent. New York : Simon & Schuster, 2014. Print.


 Donaldson, Julia, and Axel Scheffler. Tabby McTat, the Musical Cat. New York: Arthur A. Levine Books, 2012. Print.



Jaunn, Adele. Caruso's Song to the Moon. South Melbourne, Vic: Lothian Books, 2004. Print.


Litwin, Eric, and James Dean. Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons. New York, NY: Harper, 2012. Print.

My cat is a pretty good singer. He got lost once, and the folks who found him named him Piper because of his musical abilities. His real name is Kitty.



Here's a short clip of Kitty singing David Bowie's Space Oddity with me. (If you don't see the video box below, click here or go to http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/watchandlisten/play/be8d7dfc1
to view.)


"Ground Control to Major Tom Cat."

ps. I highly recommend buying David Bowie's music at my friend Al's record store, Exile on Main Street in Branford, Connecticut. You can even shop online:exileonmain.com.

pps. Back in the 80's, Al was my boss at Cutler's Records in New Haven. The Cutlers were really nice. They had a cat named Sheba who lived in the store.


ppps. The song Space Oddity is covered by two of my favorite actors in two of my favorite movies. Adam Sandler covers the song in Mr. Deeds, and Kristin Wiig sings it in The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

pppps. Whoa! Here's a coincidence that never occurred to me before typing the previous sentence . . . James Thurber's short story The Secret Life of Walter Mitty takes place in New Milford, Connecticut, and some of the scenes of Mr. Deeds were filmed in New Milford, Connecticut! I'll have to ask my cousin Allen Covert if he ever noticed the connection. 

ppppps. The last time I saw Allen was Christmas Day in 2000, so he might not remember me. 

pppppps. Here is a video clip of Adam Sandler singing Space Oddity in Mr. Deeds, and here is a clip of Kristen Wiig singing along with the David Bowie recording.