Friday, September 23, 2011

Don't point at outlaws

Langton, Jerry. Showdown: How the Outlaws, Hell Angels and Cops Fought for Control of the Streets. Mississauga, Ont: Wiley, 2010. Print.

The Outlaws Motorcycle Club is one of the oldest and largest riding organizations in the world. It is also one of the most widely feared.
"God forgives, Outlaws don't" is the official motto. Members of this "one percenter" club are so scary and have such a strong code of silence that very few people have written about them for fear of retaliation.

When I was in my early twenties, I had a brief encounter with a member of this legendary organization.

We were on a family car trip to Vermont when I spotted a real Outlaw riding behind us on the highway. Like an idiot, I pointed at him and loudly announced to everyone in the car, "Hey! Take a look at this guy! He's a REAL biker not one of those Harley Davidson Weekend Warriors posers." I continued to rudely stare at him as if he was a shark in an aquarium tank.

Two whole months later I was at a Ramones show in Toad's Place when the same guy came up to me and said, "Hey--were you pointing at me in Vermont?"

And speaking of motorcycles . . .


Here are three outstanding novels for kids who like motorcycles:


Bawden, Nina. Granny the Pag. New York: Clarion Books, 1996. Print.


Cleary, Beverly, and Louis Darling. Runaway Ralph. New York: Morrow, 1970. Print.

Cleary, Beverly, and Louis Darling. The Mouse and the Motorcycle. New York: W. Morrow, 1965. Print.

ps. I suppose I should mention Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, but I could never get through it.