Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Happy Birthday to me


Robleda Moguel, Margarita, and Maribel Suárez. Rebeca. Rana, remarimas. [Argentina?]: Alfaguara, 2004.



This rhyming picture book is one of my favorites to read aloud during Spanish storytime.  It's a very simple, bouncy story about a happy girl who likes to ride  her bike, draw, skateboard, and play with her dog. Whenever I call  families to invite them to upcoming events, I get such a kick out of  introducing myself as "Rebecca de la biblioteca." It's so much easier to rhyme in Spanish. Hardly anything rhymes with my name in English.

Meadows, Daisy. Rebecca the Rock 'n' Roll Fairy. New York, NY: Scholastic, Inc, 2009.


When  Jack Frost and his mischievous goblins steal Rebecca's magic purple  ribbon, all the people in town lose their sense of rhythm and no one can dance. This easy chapter book is part of the wildly popular Rainbow Magic series of modern fairy adventures.



Wiggin, Kate Douglas. Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm / Kate Douglas Wiggin. Wordsworth Classics. Ware, Hertfordshire:Wordsworth Editions, 1994. (Originally published in 1903.)




An eternally optimistic girl named Rebecca  is sent away to live with her two spinster aunts. Even though some  people are mean to her, she never holds a grudge and sees it as her duty  to make everyone happy. Story of my life.