Friday, January 8, 2010

Can't say

Since I am on a top secret ALA/ALSC book award committee, I haven't been able to tell you about many of the books I've read over the past 12 months. (I also can't say much about the books I review for School Library Journal.) After the winners are announced on January 18th, I will give you the full scoop.

In the meanwhile, here is an old post:



Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's The Little Prince is one of those children's books that's really a grown-up book in disguise. I try to reread it every year or so just to make sure my life is on the right track.The Little Prince is the tale of a pilot who finds himself lost in the Sahara Desert. The pilot befriends a little prince who teaches him some important life lessons. The book is based on Saint-Exupéry's real life experiences as an aviator, and as a fellow human being.

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's masterpiece sounds prettier in French, but I have to admit that I understand it better in English. Here are a few of my favorite quotes:

"One runs the risk of weeping a little, if one lets himself be tamed."

"And when your sorrow is comforted (time soothes all sorrows) you will be content that you have known me. You will always be my friend."

"Grown-ups never understand anything by themselves, and it is tiresome for children to be always and forever explaining things to them."

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

To learn more about author/pilot Antoine de Saint-Exupéry and his most famous book, visit the following websites:

http://www.pbs.org/kcet/chasingthesun/innovators/aexupery.html

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/10/28/style/28iht-book_16.html

http://www2.scholastic.com/browse/book.jsp?id=944