Sunday, July 19, 2009

More from the conference


Whenever we come back from a conference or workshop, we are asked to give a staff presentation about what we learned and how it can be applied to our daily work at the library. Since I'm not a big fan of PowerPoint presentations--the last time I prepared one, I deleted it by mistake 15 minutes before the meeting-- I decided to give my demonstration blog-style. Here is the first entry, here is the second, and here is the latest:


As part of my work on the Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC) Oral History Committee, I coordinated a panel discussion of past ALSC Executive Directors entitled Past as Prologue: Building on ALSC's Successes: Learn from former ALSC Division staff and a recent ALSC President as they discuss the foundations of the Division, the changes that have occurred and how ALSC builds on that foundation to provide cutting edge library service to children and tweens, their parents and caregivers.

The speakers talked about ALSC national initiatives such as




and
So Much to See. So Much to Do @ your library.


The presenters and the other Oral History Committee members really did most of the work. All I had to do was submit the proposal, stay in touch with the speakers throughout the year, and make sure we had a room and adequate A.V. equipment. It was so nice to meet everyone face to face for the first time! I need to buy some thank-you cards to send out tomorrow, and then my work is done. I hope that next year's proposal gets accepted, too.

BTW, the first two ALSC Oral History transcripts are available online now.