Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Moments of Pleasure

Kate Bush's Moments of Pleasure is one of my very favorite songs. It's from her 1993 album, The Red Shoes.

Bush, Kate. The Red Shoes. New York: Columbia, 1993.

I think these lines are especially beautiful:

On a balcony in New York
It's just started to snow
He meets us at the lift
Like Douglas Fairbanks
Waving his walking stick
But he isn't well at all
The buildings of New York
Look just like mountains through the snow


Here's the video:




Kate Bush is a very intriguing character. She was discovered by Pink Floyd's David Gilmour when she was only sixteen. She is probably most famous for her 1978 hit single, Wuthering Heights.

Brontë, Emily. Wuthering Heights. London: Thomas Cautley Newby, 1846.

To learn more about Kate Bush's career, I recommend reading this article by Holly Kruse. This bio from the official Kate Bush website is also very good.

Here is a review of Bush's latest album, Aerial: rollingstone.com. I'm embarrassed to admit that I haven't listened to it yet. For the time being, I am quite content just to play Moments of Pleasure over and over and over again.