Sunday, November 30, 2008

Look . . .

I read two AMAZING memoirs last weekend: Look Me in the Eye by John Elder Robison, and I'm Looking Through You by Jennifer Finney Boylan.

Robison, John Elder. Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's.
New York: Crown Publishers, 2007.
ISBN: 978-0-307-39598-6.


"Of course this book is brilliant; my big brother wrote it. But even if it hadn't been created by my big, lumbering, swearing, unshaven 'early man' sibling, this is as sweet and funny and sad and true and heartfelt a memoir as one could find, utterly unspoiled, uninfluenced, and original."
--Augusten Burroughs, author of Running with Scissors.



Boylan, Jennifer Finney. I'm Looking Through You: Growing Up Haunted.
New York: Broadway Books, 2008.
ISBN: 978-0-7679-2174-9.


"Jenny Boylan's I'm Looking Through You ranks right up there with Mary Karr's The Liar's Club and Tobias Wolff's This Boy's Life as one of the finest literary memoirs of the last several decades."
--Richard Russo, Pulitzer Prize -winning author of Empire Falls.