Friday, August 22, 2008

The book Mom read

Harris, Joanne. Five Quarters of the Orange.
New York, NY: Morrow, 2001



Since Mom is in town, I asked her to write this week's book review:

...and I, of course said "Oh, no! I'm too rusty!"... but I will share some thoughts.

Our Retired Ladies Book Club just finished discussing Five Quarters of the Orange which has turned out to be one of my favorite books.

The story is told through the eyes of Framboise, a nine year old girl living in a small village in France during the German occupation. While the book gives us a glimpse of what life was like for those living in the village, the main focus of the novel is on Framboise and her relationship with her mother. It is a "coming of age" story in the sense that during the time of the novel,'Boise pulls away from childhood, wresting control from her domineering mother. However, it isn't until she is in her sixties and she relates the events that happened during a few short months during her ninth year, that Framboise fully understands her mother and their relationship.

The book is also about general relationships within a family and within a village. I found myself not only engrossed in the story but also thinking about what it is to be an outsider and whether one can truly atone for past behavior.

A great read.... I highly recommend it!
Mom