Thursday, June 12, 2008

Books Dads Read

In honor of Father's Day, I asked some of my favorite dads to tell me about their favorite books. Here's what the guys had to say:

I like all of John Steinbeck—Grapes of Wrath, East of Eden, Cannery Row, The Long Valley, etc. I like all of Tony Hillerman’s books, too.
–My father, Erik


Childhood favorites: Old Yeller by Fred Gipson, The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling.
-My father-in-law, Bill


Among my favorites are A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving, Love in the Ruins by Walker Percy, Chronicles Volume One by Bob Dylan (possibly the most entertaining non-fiction book I have ever read), Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ’s Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore (hysterical AND deeply moving), Cash: The Autobiography by Johnny Cash, Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut and finally Forrest Gump by Winston Groom (so much better than the quite good film-far more packed into the novel). My dad introduced me to Forrest Gump. He also loved "The Count of Monte Cristo", "Boys of Summer" by Roger Kahn (who I once met) and just about anything by David Halberstam.
–My brother-in-law, John


Anything by John Steinbeck.

-Uncle Donald


Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck, and The Holy Bible.
My grandfather, Willy

The Road by Cormac McCarthy. The saddest, darkest father son story I’ve ever encountered. It is also soul shakingly beautiful. Of Mice and Men and The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck are lifelong, read many times, favorites. Also Bluebeard, A Man with No Country, and Welcome to The Monkey House by Kurt Vonnegut.
-Musician, Johnny Hickman


My father's favorite books: Don Quixote (Cervantes) Inferno (Dante) and Death of A Salesman (Miller). He had a sad but driven life. Me (as dad)... Fathers and Sons (Ivan Turgenev), a story of the nobel nihilist, Bazarov who influenced my thinking for the first half of my life, and... The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Mark Twain) and My Life and Hard Times (James Thurber), our greatest and most serious American humorists who help me steer the ship today!

-Chris LeRoy, Musician