Thursday, May 29, 2008

Lon Chaney and David Watts

Today at work, my friends from the Archives Department were talking about old movies, and I heard Lon Chaney's name mentioned. My ears perked up and I interrupted: "Excuse me, did you just say Lon Chaney? Isn't he the guy in the Warren Zevon song?" My friends said, "What song? Lon Chaney or Lon Chaney, Jr.?" I replied, "Both!" and broke out into song:

Well, I saw Lon Chaney walkin' with the queen, doin' the werewolves of London.
I saw Lon Chaney Jr. walkin' with the queen, doin' the werewolves of London . . .


Don't worry--I refrained from howling. Since I was on a roll, and since the Archives Department is working on a Dalí project, I also serenaded them with the Pixies' hit, Debaser.


got me a movie
i want you to know
slicing up eyeballs
i want you to know
girlie so groovy
i want you to know
don't know about you
but i am un chien andalusia . . .


Then my friends and I talked on and on about Salvador Dalí and his crazy projects. (He shares credit with Luis Buñuel for the surrealist film, Un Chien Andalou.)



And speaking of song references . . .


Who the heck is David Watts?