Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Book I Read



The Higher Power of Lucky is a children's literature masterpiece. The book is short and easy to read, yet it is as compelling and genuine as any adult book.

It is the story of a ten-year-old girl named Lucky who lives in a tiny desert town with her legal guardian, Brigitte. Lucky's biggest fear is that Brigitte will abandon her and move back to France. Lucky spends a great deal of time spying on A.A. meetings, and she longs to find a Higher Power of her own.

The book's author, Susan Patron, is a retired librarian. Although I've never met her, she is my new role model. I love the way she describes our passion for reading: "Librarians crave to put the right book in the hands of the exact right child." This quote really sums up the essence of librarianship. Sometimes I feel like a matchmaker finding the perfect lover for each of my beloved books.

To listen to the entire interview with Susan Patron, please visit SimonSays.com.