Thursday, March 20, 2008

Cracker books

I really love the band, Cracker. Back in the early nineties, a nice guy made me a great mix tape that included the hit single, Teen Angst. I've been hooked ever since.

Here are three books that have the same titles as some of my favorite Cracker songs.

Forever by Judy Blume
This detailed story about a young woman's first sexual relationship is one of the most controversial young adult novels of all time. Back in sixth grade, I begged my mother to let me check out the book, but she wouldn't allow it. I had to smuggle a borrowed copy into the house. I read the worn out paperback about twenty times in a row before passing it along to a classmate.


Mr. Wrong: Real-Life Stories About the Men We Used to Love edited by Harriet Brown
Since I really respect guys, I didn't like this book at all. It's just plain to rude to complain about exes.



Teen Angst? Naaah . . . A Quasi-autobiography by Ned Vizzini
This teenage memoir is extremely well-written, but it's a bit too wholesome for my taste. I like my memoirs good and gritty. If I want to read about a grade-obsessed, goody-goody teenager with excellent taste in music, I'll go back and reread my high school diaries.


ps. If you like reading, and you like Cracker, you will love the Hickman/LeRoy Songbook. It's the smartest site in all of Myspace.