Thursday, February 28, 2008

Prison stories


Books Behind Bars

I have no romantic notions of prison life. When I was a sophomore in college, I had to go on a field trip to Lorton Prison with my Intro to Social Work class. We were supposed to interview inmates, but I was absolutely horrified and didn't talk to anyone.

Back in the mid 1990's, I had the pleasure of working in a delightful, small town library. Within the limits of this quaint New England town, there was a gargantuan, high-security men's prison. Now and then I would wonder what was going on in that strange parallel universe just a few miles away.

Maybe because of these experiences, I am drawn to reading prison memoirs. Here are three of my favorites:

Couldn't Keep it to Myself by Wally Lamb & the Women of York Correctional Institution

Hole in My Life by Jack Gantos

A Prison Diary: Volume 1 - Hell by Jeffrey Archer