Monday, January 14, 2008

There is a bird on your head!

This morning I attended the ALSC Children's Book Awards press conference for the first time. I made it to the Convention Center by 7:15, and there was already a line! It was well worth the wait, though, to be able to hear the announcements firsthand.

The prestigious Theodor Seuss Geisel Award went to one of my favorite children's books of the year:
There is a Bird on Your Head by Mo Willems.

Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! Voices from a Medieval Village by Laura Amy Schlitz won the Newbery Medal,
and the Caldecott went to The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick.

I'd write more, but I just flew in from Philadelphia . . . and boy, are my arms tired. Please visit ala.org for a complete list of this year's literary award winners. Happy reading!