Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Queen vs. The Rolling Stones

Back in 1978, the album Some Girls by The Rolling Stones was at the top of my Christmas list. My grandmother tried to buy it for me, but the sales clerk refused to let her have it because he said it wasn't appropriate for little girls. When my Uncle Donald learned of this, he went out and bought 2 copies--one for me and one for himself. (Thanks, Uncle Donald!)

One thing that's kind of puzzling, though, is that the clerk had no problem handing over the number two album on my Christmas list: Queen's Jazz. As a music employee, he should have known better. Not only is Jazz one of Queen's weakest albums, but the best song on the album, Fat Bottomed Girls doesn't exactly promote wholesome values. Check out Brian May's lyrics:

Hey I was just a skinny lad
Never knew no good from bad
But I knew love before I left my nursery
Left alone with big fat Fanny
She was such a naughty nanny
Heap big woman you made a bad boy out of me . . .

Don't you hate it when people think they have the right to control what other people to listen to or read? Thank goodness for the First Amendment and the Library Bill of Rights. And thank goodness for Uncle Donald.