Monday, January 28, 2008

Smokey Robinson and The English Beat

Doesn't 40 Forever have a nice ring to it? I'm afraid it's not original, though. I got the name from a Motown greatest hits album. My favorite songs on the album are ABC by The Jackson 5, Superfreak by Rick James, and Tears of a Clown by Smokey Robinson & The Miracles.

Speaking of Smokey Robinson, The English Beat did a really cool rendition of his hit, Tears of a Clown. Check it out:
The song is available on the albums, Beat This and What is Beat. I could have sworn that it was also on Wha'ppen, but my sources say otherwise. Grrrr . . . why did I ever unload all my vinyl? I'd love to prove them wrong. Any fact-checkers out there?


If you'd like to learn about the history of Motown Records, visit your local library. In addition to books, most public libraries have circulating CD collections. We have a fantastic music collection here at the Alvin Sherman Library, Research, and Information Technology Center at NSU.