Wednesday, November 7, 2007

"This ain't no Mud Club"


Congratulations to Miss New Orleans for correctly answering this week's music trivia question! The initials "CBGB OMFUG" stand for "Country Blue Grass Blues and Other Music For Uplifting Gormandizers." Miss New Orleans found the answer in this Wikipedia article about the legendary punk rock venue, CBGB's.

CBGB's was famous for premiering great rock musicians such as Patti Smith, Blondie, the Ramones, and the Talking Heads. To learn more about the American Punk Rock Movement, visit CBGB Online which is "the official website to the historic cradle of underground music in New York's Lower East Side." The site includes this first-person narrative by the late Hilly Kristal who founded the club in 1973.

I'm afraid I don't have any interesting personal stories to tell you about CBGB's. I went there a couple of times when I was in my twenties, but I don't remember much.

Stay tuned for next week's trivia question. Who knows? You might find yourself in the winners' circle with Miss New Orleans, Honest Abe, Thursday, and Rockin' Rob!